I have seen quite a number of people ponder on moving from through hole mounted components to surface mount – so how difficult is it?
- Through-hole components are bigger, one can actually touch them with bare hands
- Through-hole fits bread board ideally – no way to put chip components there
Pro surface mount:
- SMD are cleaner. Being so small one is less likely to handle them with bare hands (no grease, less oxidisation)
- SMD are easier to re-solder as the pads play it nice, when removing through-hole is pain
- Surface mount components leave backside of PCB clean, nothing to cut there